View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 24, 2018, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

How exactly is the score approved? I know what the rulebook says, but in my practice, the Referee (and the Umpire(s), for a scholastic game) sign the scorebook after the Referee inspects the scorebook before the game. On the one hand, I agree with the recommendation to leave as soon as possible, but how would an error be corrected?

On a last-second shot, IMO, the crew (including the timer and alternate official, if applicable (sometimes, the alternate official IS also the timer)) should get together before rendering a final decision. This is to ensure that the officials get the call right, because a successful last-second shot could change the outcome of the game (knowing whether the last shot was a 2 or 3 pointer is important, because it can decide who wins, and if overtime was played. For example, Oakton and Chantilly played a game, and Oakton was down by 3 when a player made a last second shot. The responsible official (the Center opposite the table) decided that the shot was good, and that it was a 3-pointer. The Trail and Lead informed him that the shooter's feet were on the 3-point line, and the C correctly called the shot as a 2-pointer. Thus, the shot was good, but the game was over, with Oakton losing by 1.).

I agree with sdoebler on grabbing the rim (which is normal after a dunk) to regain balance versus hanging on the rim and pulling up or waving one's legs in the air, which should be a technical foul, because the player is just showing off. If the player grabs and jumps off after a dunk, fine by me. If a player is flying, grabs, returns to a vertical position, and jumps down, OK. The injury exception also makes sense. But if a player is just hanging to hang, or to show off, T.