View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 24, 2018, 09:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

Now That's Different ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
The contact on rebound ...
Now I think that I fully understand your question. You're not talking about "over the back" contact, but rather some "hand to hand" contact between and inside and outside player on a rebound that ends up going out of bounds.

Situation: Inside player gets rebound, outside player, with no body to body contact, hits the hand of the inside player. The ball, only due to the hit, goes out of bounds off the inside player's hand.

Interesting question, but one that is covered by existing NFHS rules, and I was unaware of any myths regarding this situation.

As it's been for many years, the hand to hand contact described in this situation is totally legal.

4-24-2: It is legal use of hands to reach to block or slap the ball controlled
by a dribbler or a player throwing for goal or a player holding it and accidentally
hitting the hand of the opponent when it is in contact with the ball.

10-6-2: A player shall not contact an opponent with his/her hand unless
such contact is only with the opponent’s hand while it is on the ball and is
incidental to an attempt to play the ball.

In regard to whom caused the ball to go out of bounds, that's also been a very clear ruling for many years.

7-2-1: The ball is caused to go out of bounds by the last player in bounds
to touch it or be touched by it, unless the ball touches a player who is out of
bounds prior to touching something out of bounds other than a player.

So in the situation described above, there was no illegal hand to hand contact initiated by the outside player (and no illegal body to body contact), and the ball was last touched the inside player before going out of bounds, so the outside player's team will get the ball for a throwin.

End of story. Sayonara baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
... most everyone associated with the game would agree that the better result is the ball be awarded to inside player rather than out on inside player ... If you quizzed players and coaches , the majority would say inside player awarded ball when outside player gets hand on inside players hand when inside players hand is on ball up top, and it goes out.
I absolutely disagree with you on this. I've made this call hundreds of times over the past thirty-eight years and have seldoom received any complaints from coaches, or players. Occasionally I'll get a question about a possible simultaneous touch by both players, or a question along the lines of, "Are you sure", or "Please check with your partner", but no major complaints. Maybe that's the belief of the guys you play pickup ball with at the YMCA, or on a playground's asphalt courts, but few involved with the interscholastic game, officials, coaches, and most players, have that erroneous view.

Now, if you're talking about this play being associated with an "over the back" (short hand) situation, that may be different, the "unofficial interpretation" of that has evolved over the years (mainly due to the availability, and increased usage, of video), and may still vary from locality to locality, and from level to level. Please see my earlier post (below).

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1024440
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 24, 2018 at 11:41am.