View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 23, 2018, 12:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

'Nuff Said ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
So is it accurate to say that an arm bar can't be used in the post at the high school level right now ...
No, it's actually quite inaccurate.

The arm bar is a legal move if the post defender just uses it to hold position. The defender can use the arm bar even if the post player backs into the defender's arm bar and contact occurs. If the defender uses the arm bar to push the post player, or uses it to displace the post player, then that's a pushing foul on the defender. If the post player backs into the defender's arm bar in such way that the defender is displaced, then that may be a foul on the post player, and if the post player has the ball, it may be a player control foul.

Here's an example: Team A has possession of the ball in their frontcourt. Defensive post player B1 is using a stationary arm bar to hold his position as offensive post player A1 positions himself on the free throw lane line block. As guard A2 attempts to pass the ball to post player A1, B1 extends his arm bar and displaces A1 from his position on the block. The official charges B1 with a pushing foul. Is the official correct? Yes (2016-17 NFHS Basketball Points of Emphasis, Rule 10-7-1)

Need citations, or references? You got it.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1024435

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
... that hand on hand on the ball issue needs to be cleaned up ... a reach in ... the ball to come out of the offense's hands, without technically touching the ball ... is the way the game has always been called ...
Nothing needs to be "cleaned up", and it's been called this way for a very long time, for almost forty years of officiating in my case.

It is legal use of hands to hit the hand of the opponent when it is in contact with the ball. This includes holding, dribbling, passing, or even during a shot attempt. Striking a ball handler, or a shooter, on that player's hand (in contact with the ball) that is incidental to an attempt to play the ball is not a foul.

This is only in regard to a hand in contact with the ball, not a hand not in contact with ball, not a wrist, not a forearm.

Also, reaching in is not a foul. There must be illegal contact to have a foul. The mere act of reaching in is, by itself, nothing. If illegal contact does occur, it’s probably a holding foul, an illegal use of hands foul, or a hand check foul, but it's never any type of foul to hit the hand of the opponent when it is in contact with the ball.

"Reaching in" should never be a part of any basketball official's vocabulary. We never use the phrase. Never. Ever.

Need citations, or references? You got it.

4-24-2: It is legal use of hands to reach to block or slap the ball controlled
by a dribbler or a player throwing for goal or a player holding it and accidentally
hitting the hand of the opponent when it is in contact with the ball.

10-6-2: A player shall not contact an opponent with his/her hand unless
such contact is only with the opponent’s hand while it is on the ball and is
incidental to an attempt to play the ball.

Period. 'Nuff said. End of story. Fini. Turn out the lights. You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here. Say goodnight, Gracie. Sayonara baby. Hasta la vista, baby. That's my thirty-eight year old story and I'm sticking to it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 23, 2018 at 05:07pm.