View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 21, 2018, 11:27am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In some cases it may depend on which team does the faking, the shooting team, or the opponents of the shooting team.

9:1: The free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane
space fake to cause an opponent to violate … If a fake by an opponent causes the
free thrower or a teammate of the free thrower to violate, only the fake is penalized.

9.1.3 SITUATION A: A1, at the free throw line to attempt a final free throw, fakes
the release of the ball. RULING: A violation by A1, Team B will be awarded a
throw-in at the nearest spot. COMMENT: The faking of a free throw try is a violation.
However, if A1 does not feel comfortable after starting his/her motion and
stops to adjust, the players in the lane spaces are expected to hold their positions.
(9-1-3b)

9.1.3 SITUATION B: ... A1’s free-throw ... (a) B1; or (b) A2, in a marked lane space,
fakes by rocking forward causing an opponent to enter the lane prematurely.
RULING: In (a), the official will use the proper signal indicating a violation by B1 and a
substitute free throw is awarded if A1’s attempt is unsuccessful. If it is successful, the
violation is ignored. In (b), the official will sound his/her whistle immediately when A2 violates.
The violation cancels A1’s attempt and it is B’s ball for a throw-in, unless an additional free
throw(s) is involved. COMMENT: If a player uses verbal tactics like “you’re in my
space” or a time-out request to fake an opponent into violations, only the fake is
penalized. (9-1-3b Penalty 1, 4d)

9.1.3 SITUATION C: A1 is preparing to attempt a free throw. Prior to A1’s
release of the ball, B1 fakes causing A2 to enter the lane prematurely. A1 then
requests and is granted a time-out. RULING: Upon resuming play, A1 is entitled
to a free throw and the official shall use the proper signal indicating a violation by
B1 prior to the granting of the time-out. If the free throw is successful, the violation
is ignored, if unsuccessful a substitute throw is awarded. (9-1-3b)

I have always believed (in my humble opinion) that this Rule, when adopted, was one of the stupidest rules ever, and I still believe that.

All of the Players know the Rule as to when they can enter the FT Lane, and if a Player can be tricked into going in too soon, then shame on him/her.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio