View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 18, 2018, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
This actually happened to me on Saturday, so I'd like feedback on whether we did the right thing. NCAAW rules.

The team has two players in libero jerseys, conveniently numbered #1 and #2. Libero #1 plays in the first set, and Libero #2 plays second set.

After the second set I overhear the coach tell regular player #10 to go change jerseys. When she comes back out, she is Libero #1. I didn't notice that she had played the second set as #10.

So now she wants to play the third set as #1. Since she started the match as #1, I allowed her to play as #1 and told the coach that she would not be allowed to change numbers going forward.

But should/could she have been sanctioned for playing after changing numbers in the previous set? Or should I not have allowed her to change back to #1, since I knew that she had been #10 in the second set?

Or is there something else I should've done? Any help appreciated.
The correct answer depends on the roster that was submitted prior to the start of the match. It is legal for a player to play as a libero wearing one number and play as a non-libero wearing a different number. In your scenario, the player should have been listed as 10/L1, or something like that. She is then free to play in any set as either Libero #1 or Player #10, but not both. In a five set match she could, for example, play in 3 sets as libero and 2 as a non-libero.

If she was listed only as a single number, then a loss of rally/point is assessed at the beginning of the set, or when she enters the set, and the roster is corrected.