Thread: block/charge
View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 18, 2018, 09:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Tilt At Windmills ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you are familiar with any AAU ...
I'm not, at least not recently, as stated in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... I could be wrong ... Just my two cents. I haven't worked a game like this in a long, long time, so I could be way off on my assertation ... I don't work games like this anymore ... no more ... Yeah, I know that I'm tilting at windmills here ...
This idiom definition (below), with my post quote (above), pretty much says that your post isn't off the mark.

Tilt At Windmills: To waste time fighting enemies or trying to resolve issues that are imaginary, not as important, or impossible to overcome.

If I ever found myself working an AAU game, which will never happen, I would certainly just follow the rules that game management wants me to enforce. No more, no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Most officials in "real" games do not care ...
Only regarding high school interscholastic games (not AAU), with your experience and success, I would certainly believe that this isn't you. Nor would I believe that you, as a clinician/trainer would instruct your members to ignore this aspect of the high school interscholastic game, and would point out any problems if someone you were evaluating choses to ignore this issue in said games. It wouldn't be the most important issue to critic (it may be the least important), but it should be, at least, mentioned, especially since it's such as easy rule to understand now that the NFHS has decided to completely remove the phrase "school color" from the rulebook.

If by "most" you mean over 50%, I would say that you're a little off with you're math, but not by much.

I pains me to say this, but many of our local subvarsity guys, and a few varsity guys, choose to ignore such rules (undershirts) in high school interscholastic games. Having served on our two main training committees (rules and mechanics), I know that that's not what they were trained to do. Some may not completely understand such rules, some aren't observant enough to enforce such rules, and some simply chose to ignore such rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 18, 2018 at 11:32am.