View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 10, 2018, 04:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Independent Contractors ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You would likely violate some laws here if that was the set up here as associations could assign, but they would likely get in trouble if they controlled people's assignments in one place. It is more than paying them, it is giving them the work alone that is the problem and is associated with controlling someone's schedule. That is why we have assignors that work for the conferences and they can hire anyone they want. This was actually made sure this was the case by taking out of LOA Constitutions to have anything to do with hiring for games.
I beginning to wonder if officials here in Connecticut, in regard to interscholastic games, are not really true independent contractors, but are only considered such for reasons such as checking a box on various tax forms.

On W-9's (that most schools, including all the state technical schools, have us sign) most of us check off "Individual/sole proprietor or single-member LLC".

I'm pretty sure that we are independent contractors in regard to recreation games, travel games, men's league games, etc.

I'll have to check with my accounting firm, Dewey, Cheatem & Howe.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 10, 2018 at 05:06pm.