View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 10, 2018, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

thoughts on upspoken rules

I don't officiate anymore but still play pickup and some rules have come up, and it got me to look at the current book and do some thinking.

First of all, I didn't realize that the forearm in the back arm bar is essentially allowed in postplay, I read if not displacing and is met with similar resistance. That is great, when did that addition get made? I think they tried to remove it, but playing w/o an armbar in the post is awkward and not a realistic view of how defense has to be able to play.

The hand part of the ball language also seems to include when shooting? I take that to mean if hitting the ball coming from behind and catch the hand while on the ball, hitting it forward, it's not a foul. Surely any contact on either hand from the front, prior to the shot, is a foul? And for contact after the shot, if just a tap a hand, I didn't call, but a displacement of the arm after the shot, or not being allowed to land cleanly, were fouls

Here's another interesting question. I always called a rebound tip out where an outside player hit the inside player's hand, and the inside player's hand was on the ball trying to control it, as simply out on the outside player. But you could read the rule as saying that that contact is legal because the inside player's hand is on the ball, and if the outside players hand doesn't touch the ball, could you call it out on the inside player? the third choice is calling a foul, and I wouldn't do that either. I'd give the ball to the inside player's team.

thoughts?