View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 09, 2018, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincoach View Post
Thanks guys! I've had a good laugh too. ISA stands for Independent Sports Association. I think they're primarily based in the Southeast. To clarify, the umpires only advanced the runners on 2nd and 3rd. The batter was left at 1st. He said it was a judgement call. I agree they both were in the process of advancing during the play (with 2 outs), but oh well. The first baseman heard the "out" call and started toward the dugout (leaving us to predict whether or not the runner on 3rd would have scored if the 1st baseman had thrown the ball home). The thing that really bothered me was the fact the offensive coach was the reason the field umpire asked for help from the plate umpire even though it was his call and he was in the best position to make the call. In the game prior, I asked for basically the same thing after 2 badly missed calls at home plate, and I was told no.

EDIT--I just realized your confusion about the base runners. I failed terribly to mention the runners on 2nd and 3rd before the play began. 1st was unoccupied. Sorry.
I know nothing about ISA or their mechanics or umpiring positioning. In the 2 sanctions that I work, the BU should have been in what we refer to as the "C" position - behind and off the right shoulder of the short-stop. This assumes a fast pitch game. But even if it was a slow pitch game, the BU should not have been positioned behind first base.

Again, based on USA or NFHS, I think moving the runners from second and third up one base was the correct call. This would be similar to the result if F3 had just dropped the ball at first. Each runner probably would have advanced 1 base and BR safe at first.

The offense's coach was well within his rights to ask the BU to check with his partner. The BU did not have to check, but most umpires will acknowledge the request if made respectfully.

I had a banger in a game last week, third out of the inning. The offense's coach came out to ask me about the call and if I'd check with my partner. He stated that he thought F3 pulled his foot and that he thought the runner beat the throw anyway. I said the judgment of beating the throw would stand but that I would check with my partner on the pulled foot request. Partner said there was no pulled foot, so the call stood.