View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 24, 2018, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the penalty, that it is a yellow card and the R2 should be handling the situation.

With that said, there are certain things I'm not going to immediately go to a card for and this is one of them. If the coach is encroaching into the sub zone, I most definitely will notice and will address it with the coach. If the coach continues to do this, I will be issuing a card. The card won's be for being out of the box, it will be for not following the reasonable request of an official.

If the coach is outside the end of the libero replacement zone and beyond the end line, I, as R2 most likely will not even notice (unless she is so far beyond the end that it becomes noticeable.)

I witnessed an R1 issue a yellow card yesterday for nothing more than being outside the far end of the libero replacement zone. How far out? About a foot. He was subsequently reminded by his crew chief (and the R2 on the match) that 1) it wasn't directly his responsibility to address and 2) there is something called preventative officiating to use before the cards come out. The R1 on that match is a newer official who has not yet grasped the "art" of officiating. Officiating is as much knowing how to interpret the rules as knowing the rules. This official knows the rulebook.