View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 18, 2018, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Is there an advantage to walking and talking vs reporting from a stationary position in the reporting area? This is a mechanic that some high school and men's college officials do, even though it is not approved for those levels.
IMO, stationary reporting allows the scorer to better see and understand the information that the official is giving on fouls, but walking and talking may be faster for the official.

I understand that when new, follow the book when in doubt. When I get more experienced, then I can deviate if allowed to by local assigners. If I move up to higher-level college (D2/D1), as long as I use proper HS floor coverage, I can use college signals in a HS game (although I'll probably try not to mix the two). If I get to the G-League, this becomes irrelevant .

Well, officials receive the rating, and assignors can see what rating the official in question has (varsity or subvarsity). [Captain Obvious On] Caveat: BillyMac's rating system can differ from yours and mine. [Captain Obvious Off]