View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 18, 2018, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I have no doubt that this is a true statement in many, possibly most, areas.

However, here in my little corner of Connecticut, observers trained for the purpose of rating, as well as partner ratings (although to a more limited extent), also factor into the equation.

From out local board's rating guidelines: Utilizes proper mechanics, up-to-date techniques and procedures as detailed in the IAABO Officials Manual.

Mechanics make up 10% of one's rating.
Which gets us to the question that ilyazhito *should have* asked -- he needs to use the mechanics that are important to the assigners at the level he is working (and that might be *all* mechanics; and it might include the "state" assigners as well as the "local" assigners, depending on the area -- and NO, thazt's not an invitation to say how games get assigned in the various leagues / state series in your area or all 50-states -- no one cares).

If he gets to the point where he only cares about some higher level (and I don't think he's there yet), he can use the *signalling* mechanics for the higher level and it's no big deal if the lower level assigner reduces his schedule. He still needs to use the *floor coverage* mechanics for the level he is working, or the game will suffer because his partners won't know what is going on.