View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 16, 2018, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Who are these "powers that be" you speak of? Camps in our state are a required part of our licensing. We must attend camps in our particular sports every three years. In basketball, that involves attending 3 person camps (the only sport that has an on-court requirement on some level). There is nothing in the requirements that require we must work scholastic games. And almost always associations or assignors run these camps. I am a certified clinician in my state and I ran two camps for two different associations. I also attended a camp in another state that ran a camp that was organized by the LOA. This has been the case for over 20 years BTW in Illinois. The structure is a little different, but basically, associations have been running camps almost my entire career. Nothing new or special needs to be shared. Remember you just got into this, some of us have been doing this for years.

Peace
Maybe I should move to IL to work . Some associations in MD have got the memo (MBOA conducts a camp every year to evaluate its officials), but MD as a state does not use camps to license officials the way that IL (and other states) do, so training is left to the devices of each local association. VA doesn't appear to have camp requirements either, unless Raymond or the other users from the Commonwealth of Virginia have something else to say. I like what you have described, it just needs to be more widespread.