View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 10, 2018, 03:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicalTropical View Post
Maybe it was posted here, but I remember reading an article quoting an NBA ref or supervisor, saying something along the lines that they don't care about experience really, he felt it could even be better to come in with a blank slate so they mold the person better. I think having experience might help like being a former basketball player or having reffed at higher levels so you are used to the speed but not necessary. obviously NBA refs let things go college refs do not. And just because you were a great basketball player does not mean you can ref. I remember my first camp my association was putting on for new refs. This woman and a guy who were hot shots city star players back in high school really were struggling. But another new ref who hadn't played before, was doing really well. He had learned the rules, had the right demeanor, posture and was prepared. I got to ref a bunch of games with him after and things always went fairly well. I'd rather ref with people like him rather than people who think they know how basketball should be played, a know it all attitude, as I find those people screwing with how they call the games, letting too many fouls and travels go because they don't like to disrupt the "flow". I tell people this, I think you could pick a random person off the street. Or maybe a nerd dressed as Thor at comic-con who has never balled in his or her life, and turn them into a better ref than someone who has played all their life. It's all going to depend on the person. Playing experience and watching a lot of games means less than you think

btw, for any new refs out there. I'm not saying to call things very strictly. That's not always the best way and good refs learn to pass on some things. Better to be on the stricter side than the let them be side though. But please, PLEASE do not ignore travels and obvious fouls in high school games because "the flow is being messed up". I heard that nonsense from a ref this past summer.
I train every summer with 2 NBA refs, and yes they prefer officials with little or no experience b/c they have fewer bad habits to break. They get very frustrated with veteran officials who can't adjust to what they want. They like me b/c I find it very easy to adjust to whomever I'm working for. But they also tell us that when we go off to work for other supervisors that we need to use the mechanics and signals that are appropriate for that venue.

They also are very big on being judicious with your whistle. They expect you know the impact of your whistle, especially on fouls. When in doubt, let them play.

As for your assertions about officials who have played and watched a lot of basketball, I don't agree with your assessment at all. I have worked with a lot very good officials who didn't play much basketball, but I have found that officials who played at college and above have a great grasp on the feel of the game and have a high rate of success.