The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 03, 2018, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Moved to Chicago
Posts: 16
G-League National Tryout

I just heard about this. I did not get invited. Thought about just going and watching it possible...
Anyone have any details about this? How it works? Do officials get hired from this?
Just wondering.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 09, 2018, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 631
2018 NBA G League Referee Tryout - NBA G League
__________________
If some rules are never enforced, then why do they exist?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 10, 2018, 08:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 174
Wow, two whole years HS experience required...

And you have to pay them for the tryout..

They aren't reaching very high are they.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 10, 2018, 08:46am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post
Wow, two whole years HS experience required...

And you have to pay them for the tryout..

They aren't reaching very high are they.
But they need refs and the allure of making it to the NBA will get plenty of folks to work for next to nothing.

I mean the NBA hires what about 1 or 2 officials per year, if that?
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 10, 2018, 09:05am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post
Wow, two whole years HS experience required...

And you have to pay them for the tryout..

They aren't reaching very high are they.
Good luck finding a D1 try-out camp for less than $500.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 10, 2018, 09:35am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post
Wow, two whole years HS experience required...

And you have to pay them for the tryout..

They aren't reaching very high are they.
They want people that are very aware of their system. So they ask for officials that have not been to other levels for their system. That certainly does not mean there are officials that get hired. I know many guys that have tried to get hired and have much more experience than that and cannot get picked up.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 10, 2018, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post
Wow, two whole years HS experience required...

And you have to pay them for the tryout..

They aren't reaching very high are they.
NBA referee scouts don't really care what levels you work. Certainly doesn't hurt you to have seen higher-level basketball, but in the end your resume is a very small part of getting hired. They are looking for qualities far beyond "I work in x conference." Besides, things vary so much based on geography. A very talented young official might be able to get a full varsity schedule in one state, and in another state an equally talented official can't get even one varsity game because he has to have a certain number of experience years.

And paying to tryout? $175 is less than you would pay for almost any college tryout camp, including JUCO/NAIA/D3. The men's JUCO assigner in my area charges $225 for his camp, no lodging or food included.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 10, 2018, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 51
Maybe it was posted here, but I remember reading an article quoting an NBA ref or supervisor, saying something along the lines that they don't care about experience really, he felt it could even be better to come in with a blank slate so they mold the person better. I think having experience might help like being a former basketball player or having reffed at higher levels so you are used to the speed but not necessary. obviously NBA refs let things go college refs do not. And just because you were a great basketball player does not mean you can ref. I remember my first camp my association was putting on for new refs. This woman and a guy who were hot shots city star players back in high school really were struggling. But another new ref who hadn't played before, was doing really well. He had learned the rules, had the right demeanor, posture and was prepared. I got to ref a bunch of games with him after and things always went fairly well. I'd rather ref with people like him rather than people who think they know how basketball should be played, a know it all attitude, as I find those people screwing with how they call the games, letting too many fouls and travels go because they don't like to disrupt the "flow". I tell people this, I think you could pick a random person off the street. Or maybe a nerd dressed as Thor at comic-con who has never balled in his or her life, and turn them into a better ref than someone who has played all their life. It's all going to depend on the person. Playing experience and watching a lot of games means less than you think


btw, for any new refs out there. I'm not saying to call things very strictly. That's not always the best way and good refs learn to pass on some things. Better to be on the stricter side than the let them be side though. But please, PLEASE do not ignore travels and obvious fouls in high school games because "the flow is being messed up". I heard that nonsense from a ref this past summer.

Last edited by TopicalTropical; Fri Aug 10, 2018 at 02:26pm.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 10, 2018, 03:03pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicalTropical View Post
Maybe it was posted here, but I remember reading an article quoting an NBA ref or supervisor, saying something along the lines that they don't care about experience really, he felt it could even be better to come in with a blank slate so they mold the person better. I think having experience might help like being a former basketball player or having reffed at higher levels so you are used to the speed but not necessary. obviously NBA refs let things go college refs do not. And just because you were a great basketball player does not mean you can ref. I remember my first camp my association was putting on for new refs. This woman and a guy who were hot shots city star players back in high school really were struggling. But another new ref who hadn't played before, was doing really well. He had learned the rules, had the right demeanor, posture and was prepared. I got to ref a bunch of games with him after and things always went fairly well. I'd rather ref with people like him rather than people who think they know how basketball should be played, a know it all attitude, as I find those people screwing with how they call the games, letting too many fouls and travels go because they don't like to disrupt the "flow". I tell people this, I think you could pick a random person off the street. Or maybe a nerd dressed as Thor at comic-con who has never balled in his or her life, and turn them into a better ref than someone who has played all their life. It's all going to depend on the person. Playing experience and watching a lot of games means less than you think


btw, for any new refs out there. I'm not saying to call things very strictly. That's not always the best way and good refs learn to pass on some things. Better to be on the stricter side than the let them be side though. But please, PLEASE do not ignore travels and obvious fouls in high school games because "the flow is being messed up". I heard that nonsense from a ref this past summer.
I train every summer with 2 NBA refs, and yes they prefer officials with little or no experience b/c they have fewer bad habits to break. They get very frustrated with veteran officials who can't adjust to what they want. They like me b/c I find it very easy to adjust to whomever I'm working for. But they also tell us that when we go off to work for other supervisors that we need to use the mechanics and signals that are appropriate for that venue.

They also are very big on being judicious with your whistle. They expect you know the impact of your whistle, especially on fouls. When in doubt, let them play.

As for your assertions about officials who have played and watched a lot of basketball, I don't agree with your assessment at all. I have worked with a lot very good officials who didn't play much basketball, but I have found that officials who played at college and above have a great grasp on the feel of the game and have a high rate of success.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 10, 2018, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 51
to clarify. I have been playing ball all my life and still do. I've had partners who brag about those things and yeah some are good refs but others are not. I really don't think having a basketball background helps a lot. Attitude, adjusting as you say, and other factors are more important to me.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 10, 2018, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rockville,MD
Posts: 399
[Future Mode On]Not exactly relevant to this year, but I'll look to go to next year's G-League camp. Even it is pie-in-the-sky after just 2 years of high school ball, I'll still be exposed to NBA level officials and supervisors, have a useful learning experience, and maybe get better games for my 3rd year of high school. [Future Mode Off]

BTW, I have an account on the NBA officiating website, and I got the email telling me about this event. However, I wouldn't have gone this year because I lack the needed high school experience, and had little 3-person experience at the time.

Raymond, I'm curious to who your training partners are. Matt told me he worked for Board 125 before moving up, so he might be one of them. I'd like to know if there are any NBA/G-League guys in DC Metro Maryland, so I could get in touch with them and train with them in the future.

This might be a good way for someone who is bypassed at the HS level to get some exposure, or for a high school official to get his name out there for college ball, because even if some NBA guys don't assign college themselves, they know people who do, or they could hook an official up with a pro-am or men's league with officials/supervisors that they know and trust, to get the official even more experience.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 10, 2018, 06:39pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicalTropical View Post
to clarify. I have been playing ball all my life and still do. I've had partners who brag about those things and yeah some are good refs but others are not. I really don't think having a basketball background helps a lot. Attitude, adjusting as you say, and other factors are more important to me.
I know my ball playing background helps me anticipate plays based on my own instincts.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 10, 2018, 06:47pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
[Future Mode On]Not exactly relevant to this year, but I'll look to go to next year's G-League camp. Even it is pie-in-the-sky after just 2 years of high school ball, I'll still be exposed to NBA level officials and supervisors, have a useful learning experience, and maybe get better games for my 3rd year of high school. [Future Mode Off]

BTW, I have an account on the NBA officiating website, and I got the email telling me about this event. However, I wouldn't have gone this year because I lack the needed high school experience, and had little 3-person experience at the time.

Raymond, I'm curious to who your training partners are. Matt told me he worked for Board 125 before moving up, so he might be one of them. I'd like to know if there are any NBA/G-League guys in DC Metro Maryland, so I could get in touch with them and train with them in the future.

This might be a good way for someone who is bypassed at the HS level to get some exposure, or for a high school official to get his name out there for college ball, because even if some NBA guys don't assign college themselves, they know people who do, or they could hook an official up with a pro-am or men's league with officials/supervisors that they know and trust, to get the official even more experience.
I saw Matt for the first ever working a horrible JV Girls game in front of me and knew immediately he would be successful, but no not him. There are 2 full time NBA officials in my area who have been involved in trying to elevate the level of officiating locally for the last 5-6 years. There are quite a few DC area guys in the NBA program, plus Scott Foster and maybe Gediminas Petraitis. You also have Al Battista, who is very well connected and always looking to get young officials into the program.

As I have mentioned before, you would benefit greatly attending Joey Crawford/Duke Callahan's Next Level camp at Villanova. Best instruction I've ever had.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NBA D-League Officiating tryout camp! NoFear Basketball 8 Mon Jan 28, 2008 01:26pm
National Lacrosse League JugglingReferee Lacrosse 1 Sun Nov 11, 2007 06:15pm
National XTreme Baseball League NCASAUmp Baseball 7 Mon May 14, 2007 02:32pm
D2 Tryout quiggle Football 1 Thu Feb 19, 2004 07:54am
National Women's Basketball League? Troward Basketball 0 Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:21am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1