View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 05, 2018, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of no 3-person, the belief that officials in a 3-person crew call more fouls is misguided. In my experience, both me and my partners have called less fouls than we would in a 2-person game. It could be that the athletes in games with 3-person crews are better, and more disciplined, and thus commit less fouls, but the main reason is that 3 officials can be in better position to make calls than 2 officials can be, because the primary areas of responsibility are smaller than in 2-person mechanics. This leads to officials guessing less and calling only what is obvious to them in their area. Because they call only the obvious fouls, the games under a 3-person system have less whistles than similar games under a 2-person system.

@justacoach, I have called games in the WCAC (JV girls), so your comment is not very apropos.

I created this thread so that officials on the fence could know some of the differences between men's and women's college basketball, from an officiating perspective, as well as to find out if it were possible to actually work both sexes. Now I know that working both sexes simultaneously is not possible, except maybe at the junior college level. Is this the reason why some JUCO men's officials use women's signals in men's games (counting with 1 hand and making a fist to start the clock, instead of the CCA Men's approved method of raising one hand, counting with the other, and chopping the raised hand)?