View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 19, 2018, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Many years ago, a rookie ref called a foul on Michael Jordan, near the end of a close game, against the Utah Jazz. When Mr. Jordan verbally objected, with something along the lines of, "You can't call that on me!" the ref T'd him and tossed him. The Jazz won the game.
That rookie ref lost his schedule for the rest of the season, and was brought back the next season, "on probation". It was understood by the officials, and those of us who knew the background of the situation, that A) nobody comes to watch the refs, and B) nobody comes to watch the 11th or 12th player on the bench.
That's BS. The official is doing his job, and the league doesn't back him up? I get that the NBA is more entertainment than basketball, but this is low. Star or not, you should not be allowed to yell at an official and criticize his call. The official was right. How did he turn out in the end? Did the NBA fire him after his probationary period, or did he stay on and be successful? If I was a D1 assigner, I'd give this guy a job on the spot if the NBA fired him.