View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 01:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
Unfortunately, that example does not relate to the OP. There HAS to be clarity and recognition that dealing with minors (under the age of 18) and adults is incredibly different.

Here's a few comments from legal professionals as it relates to an adult asking if he has the right to fight back against a 16 year old, if the kid initiated a physical confrontation. Take heed. You may not like it, but it's reality. In addition, you likely would not be officiating youth sports anymore, especially if your engagement in the violence causes harm to a minor.

"It is simply better to turn away and not engage him. You can only use self defense as a defense when charged with a crime. What you are contemplating is actually being arrested and charged with harassment or third degree assault and then raising self defense as an affirmative defense. My suggestion is to not expose yourself to a night or weekend in jail, pretrial serves, posting bond, hiring an attorney, etc. Any incident could very well be viewed by law enforcement as at least disorderly conduct of having a mutual fight. You simply don't want to go down this long and expensive path. No one is going to advise you as an adult to strike anyone, let alone a child."

"Nothing but bad things will come from you striking a 16 year old."
I'm not a teacher so I do not really care. I am a parent and if the right thing happens I will knock out a 16-year-old if they are doing something to my child or if they are harming my wife. When you say this, keep in mind you are doing this through a very narrow lens. Because you must realize that 16-year-olds might commit crimes where they will be confronted. This just happens to be a situation at a sporting event, but not all situations are at sporting events or even in schools where kids have assaulted people or been involved in mob mentality.

You might be right, but I will take my chances when one comes after me and starts throwing punches. If I am an official I am still a person underneath the shirt.

Peace