Thread: Dribble ...
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 11, 2018, 04:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Theoretically Speaking ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yes, this one.
4.15.1 SITUATION C is an excellent citation stating that the start of a dribble is the same as a dribble.

4.15.1 SITUATION C: A1 attempts a pass to A2 during pressing action in A’s backcourt. The ball hits B’s backboard and deflects directly back to A1 who catches the ball and starts a dribble. RULING: The pass against B’s backboard was the start of a dribble which ended when A1 caught the ball. It is a violation for a second dribble. (4-4-5; 9-5)

It literally contains the words, "starts a dribble, not "dribble", but "starts a dribble", nothing more, no ball hitting the floor, no additional touch, etc.

The rule itself is poorly worded. The casebook play is as clear as a bell.

However, practically speaking, in a real game, I would have a patient whistle to be sure that this doesn't subsequently turn into a bounce pass to a teammate, or a steal by the opponents.

4.15.4 SITUATION A is a pretty good citation stating that the start of a dribble is the same as a dribble.

4.15.4 SITUATION A: As dribbler A1 attempts to change direction to avoid guard B1, he/she allows the ball to come to rest in one hand in bringing the ball from the right to the left side of the body. A1 pushes the ball to the floor in an attempt to continue the dribble. RULING: When A1 palmed/carried the ball the dribble ended and when he/she pushed the ball to the floor a violation occurred.

It states, "attempt to continue the dribble", not "continues the dribble". I not a big fan of "pushed the ball to the floor" at the end of the casebook play, some may quibble about whether, or not, pushing the ball to the floor really means that the ball actually hits the floor.

Theoretically speaking, on a written test, the start of a dribble is the same as a dribble.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least until somebody changes my mind, which may be in a few minutes the way that this thread is going.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 11, 2018 at 04:59pm.