View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Re: Question???

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
OK, I do some 10-U, although, I prefer older girls, where the rules are standard. It's not the age, it's the rules. I do have 2 questions.

1) I understand the logic about crossing home plate and having nowhere to go. But, that coach knew she couldn't steal home, it's still a live ball, why not allow a defensive play on a stupid offensive play? The only time I wouldn't allow it is if she was standing on home and didn't come off it. Just because she crossed home doesn't mean the play has ended. She or at least, the coach, should know that wasn't a legal play. She is still in jeoopardy and has to get back to third.

2) Why wouldn't she have to retrace her steps? For example, if she was on 2nd and advanced on a hit, missing third and crossing home, she's gonna have to touch home before she can go back to 3rd to touch the base. Why not in this situation, just because she isn't allowed to steal home, shouldn't mena the rest of the rules don't apply. Along these lines, the abandoning the base should apply, shoudln't it?

Rick
Speaking ASA

Tom covered most of you questions. I would just like to add that at no point did anyone suggest a suspension of the rules, it's just that there are no rules requiring the runner who has scored as in this scenario to return in a certain manner as it would occur during a dead ball period by rule.

BTW, there is no such rule penalizing a runner for abandoning a base.