View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 05, 2018, 05:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

You Got Persuasion, I Can’t Help Myself (Santana, 1969) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... the player who ends his dribble, throws the ball off his backboard, runs several feet, catches it, and then dunks ... That's a travel.
4-44-3: The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Take a look at 4.15.4 Sit D.
Are you saying that what I'm calling a travel violation (above) is not a travel? It also can't be an illegal dribble because of Fundamental 19: A ball which touches the front face or edges of the backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds, except that when the ball touches the thrower’s backboard, it does not constitute a part of a dribble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If the ball is caught in the air prior to contacting the floor, then the definition of a proper dribble has not been met and the player has dribbled illegally, which is a violation.
Please explain further. How has the definition of a proper dribble not been met?

Interesting. Very interesting. You've got my attention. Let's explore this further.

Again, my play is this: The player ends his dribble, throws the ball off his backboard, runs several feet, catches it, and then dunks.

I say that's a travel violation.

My rule citation is this: 4-44-3: The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.

Noting that it's not a pass, nor is it a try, nor is it a fumble.

Why is my play not a travel?

And why would this be an illegal dribble (not a travel) if the ball didn't hit the backboard (the player ends his dribble, throws the ball in the air, runs several feet, catches it, and then dunks)?

That's the key to changing my interpretation, which can be changed with further persuasion.

It looks like that what I'm calling a travel may really be an illegal dribble, that can't be an illegal dribble because of Fundamental 19.

I'm actually looking forward to having my interpretation changed because it looks like I have the minority opinion here, and there has to be a good reason why I'm all alone on the minority side.

It's lonely over here. Everybody is pointing at me, and making fun of me. I really want to join the "cool" officials on the majority side.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jul 05, 2018 at 06:20am.