View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 04, 2018, 10:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Ruled A Try, Not Ruled A Pass, Not Ruled A Fumble …

NFHS only. Not ruled a try. Not ruled a pass. Not ruled a fumble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
9.5 SITUATION: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the ball against: (a) his/her own backboard; ... and catches the ball after each. RULING: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used ... (4-4-5; 4-15-1, 2; Fundamental 19)
4-15-1: A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor one or several times. It is not a part of a dribble when the ball touches a player’s own backboard.

In one very specific case, not only is it legal throw the ball against one's own backboard, but one can also legally catch it after it bounces back.

We don't know, in 9.5 SITUATION, if said player moved his pivot foot (I'm assuming he didn't for this to be legal), or any foot, before the release. That would make a difference in regard to if he's actually allowed to legally catch it. Nor does it tell us much about what the player is legally allowed to do next.

9.5 SITUATION, as written, is very limited in scope.

9.5 SITUATION, 4-15-1, and Fundamental 19, simply state that if a player ends his dribble with both feet on the floor, throws the ball off his backboard, doesn't move his feet, and catches the ball, that I can't call an illegal dribble (double dribble) violation on him. So I won't. But it doesn't say that I can't call any other violation based on the travel rules if the pivot foot moves outside of the prescribed limits. 9.5 SITUATION alone states that I can't call a violation for simply throwing the ball off of his own backboard, because it's not illegal, because it's not a rule.

These "throw the ball off the backboard and dunk plays" may involve moving a pivot foot outside the prescribed limits, a travel violation.

4-44-3: The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.

What if the player touches the floor with his pivot foot between the throw and the catch, moving his pivot foot multiple times between the throw and the catch?

What NFHS rule "resets the pivot foot limits" (like a pass, or a try) after a throw off the backboard?

That's why I believe that the "throw the ball off the backboard and dunk play" is often illegal according to NFHS rules.

That's my rationale, with citations, and I'm sticking to it, at least until ...

Can someone please tell me why, by rule, or by interpretation, it's legal in the NFHS? I will be much obliged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
... asks the same questions after coming out of it
Because I've never been convinced that this is legal by NFHS rules. Never. Ever. But I'm not closed minded, so please convince me.

I have absolutely no problem ending this thread with, "I was wrong. Nice citations. Thanks for the clarification". And I promise to try to remember that for any future threads, or posts.

Now, where are my house keys?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jul 05, 2018 at 01:18am.