View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 01, 2018, 09:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citation Please ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
A1 obviously throws the ball off the backboard to himself and then lays the ball in the basket. Legal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Legal. Specific case plays in FED ...
Not interpreted as a try in the caseplay? Shooter takes an additional step after the airborne release in the caseplay? Off the player's own backboard that his team is shooting at in the caseplay?

I would love to see that NFHS caseplay.

4.15.4 SITUATION C: After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball: (c) against his/her own backboard in an attempt to score (try), catches the rebound and dribbles again. RULING: In (c), the action is legal. Once the ball is released on the try, there is no player or team control, therefore, A1 can recover the rebound and begin a dribble.

This (above) says it's a try. I want to see a caseplay where the release is "obviously" not a try, as in bucky's post.

9.5 SITUATION: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the
ball against: (a) his/her own backboard; RULING: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard
is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used.

This (above) says it legal to throw the ball off one's own backboard, but it doesn't say what's legal to do next. He can legally catch it since the ball touching one's own backboard in not considered part of a dribble, but what can he legally do after he catches it? Also, this caseplay doesn't indicate whether, or not, the player moves his pivot foot between the release and the catch.

https://www.facebook.com/22189113782...6733955009150/

https://youtu.be/uAskXXKV2GU

A few years ago somebody posted a video on the Forum of a college player (possibly a Duke player) driving down the lane, becoming airborne, seeing his shot will be blocked, deliberately throws the ball off the backboard, takes additional steps, catches the ball, passes (while airborne) to a teammate in the corner who hits a three. Nice video. I can't find it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 02, 2018 at 06:03am.