View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 04, 2018, 03:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
In my experience, most travel ball "coaches" and tournament directors couldn't care less if they get varsity- or college-caliber officiating on their games, if they even know what that really entails. They just want officials to "let 'em play," call obvious fouls, and keep the games on schedule. Many times the incidents happen when you actually have a good official on the court who knows how to work and doesn't put up with the BS.

I don't feel sorry one bit for travel ball coaches, players, TDs, or parents. They've created an environment that most good officials have no desire to be a part of. Paying a fair amount for 3-person crews would be a start if they really care about having more varsity/college officials on their games.
Most of the time I work any AAU ball is at a college camp. And I used to go to this camp in Indiana where the talent was above average and every year there were about 3 or 4 coaches removed by police almost every year. At least we were empowered by the supervisor to actually T up coaches too. Now the people at this camp where often college officials with some exceptions and either on the staff of the camp director's leagues or worked college for someone else. Most officials were better than the average high school officials and the coaches still acted out. So even if they paid for 3-person for every game, they still would not get a lot of top officials to work those games just for the principle of the matter.

Peace