View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 04, 2018, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I have read past threads about how to handle an ejected coach who refuses to leave, and most say to try to avoid a forfeit at all costs, which I totally understand. But those examples were for a HS game, and in one case, a HS playoff game. What about an AAU-type tournament, with 18-minute running halves, 50 minutes allotted for each game, multi-court facility, no site manager…etc...you know, the type of game most of you avoid!

8th Grade boys. HC (up by 15 midway thru 2nd half) was very calm and never demonstrative, but earned his two T’s by questioning a call, not letting it go, then called my partner a clown…then took his sweet time in leaving. Finally left after about two minutes. The first minute was spent with my partner and I and the AC urging the HC to leave, while the HC continued to calmly stand there calling my partner a clown at midcourt. The 2nd minute was the HC taking his time, saying goodbye to his players, and slowly walking out. (I know none of this meets the definition of “immediately”) After the game, a fan/ref said we could have continued to give him T’s, (which I know is true), some suggested forfeit…At this level, are you more likely to go to a forfeit than a HS game?
My son played in an AAU game recently in which the opposing coach was given a third T, I believe for rather graphic language as he was leaving half way through the first half. He mysteriously came back into the gym and tournament management came and discussed with the referees and the coach. He apparently didn't like it when he was, eventually, told he really did have to leave. And yelled at his assistant coach to take the team of the court. Yup, game ended before halftime.

(In the same tournament, an opposing player pushed a ref, then went charging back at the ref and was held back by several people. Refs seemed to be getting ready to inbound the ball before deciding there had to be a T in there somewhere (just one!), and awarding FTs.)

I talked to another Dad (of another team) who was really frustrated with the fact the tournaments can't get decent refs . . . it does seem like we have these tournaments with all decent varsity players and refs who would be lucky to get JV assignments in a competitive league. (Don't get me wrong, I fully get why most of you won't do these games (I wouldn't either), it's just damned frustrating to pay what we pay for the kids to play, pay again to watch, and get (usually) refs who are in over their heads.)

I am *so* not going to miss AAU next year when my son is done.