View Single Post
Old Sun May 27, 2018, 10:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I would like to hear some discussion regarding this situation. Repercussions from the coach? Getting it right? Allowed by rules? When does a call actually become a call?
A call is when you blow your whistle and tell everyone what we are doing with signal or voice. I guess you can change that situation after the fact, but you will not have much credibility when you do that. So we can play games with what it is when we actually make a call, but that would be chaos. For one if I blow my whistle, then always have a conference after the fact, then you will have every call up for debate. For example, I call a foul on a shooter near the basket and I blow my whistle before the shot goes in the basket and the shot misses, can we debate that call? Sure you could, but then what if we determine the call was not proper and no foul should have been called? Do we now go back to the point we blew the whistle and say, "No that does not count"?

This is not football where the play eventually ends and then the play can be discussed after the fact. Because no such flag ever kills the play. In basketball we are often killing the play with our whistle. And if we can debate the foul after the fact and the play would have been live, either we are going to have to change the rules to allow that to be a regular thing or we will be using the AP arrow often in games because we can debate what is the call. Because could I make a every call up for some level of discussion when the ball is clearly live.

Peace