Thread: NFHS Update
View Single Post
Old Wed May 16, 2018, 05:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Leave Home Without It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
1-12-1c: It shall have a deeply-pebbled, granulated surface, with horizontally shaped panels bonded tightly to the rubber carcass.
Rationale: The additional words give manufacturers a better sense of what a deeply-pebbled cover should look like.

Addition to the description of the surface of the basketball (1-12-1c): Each year basketball manufacturers are becoming more creative in the design of the basketball. Even though these innovative designs are popular, they may not meet NFHS standards. In an attempt to give more specific direction, the committee added terminology to better describe the accepted surface of a legal basketball.
History of Changes in the basketball
1955 Rubber covered ball may be used
1957 Ball color must be tan or yellow
1959 Orange colored ball may be used
1960 Ball must be orange or natural tan
1968 Ball channels limited to ¼ inch
1985 A 1-inch smaller and 2-ounce lighter ball adopted for high school girls
2003 Multiple-paneled basketballs permitted
2015 Effective 2019-20 ball colors shall be Pantone Matching System (PMS) orange 152, red-orange 173 or brown 1535

Great. Now I'm going to have to remember to pack my officially licensed NFHS Deeply Pebbled Granulated Surface Detector ®, and my officially licensed NFHS Pantone Color Chart ®.

Remember the good old days when all we would have to carry in our warmup jacket pocket was a needle to deflate an overinflated basketball?

Will we have to memorize these basketball history dates for the exam?

Also, for your information, prior to 1955, basketballs were made out of a rock covered with wood. It's true. Ask Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

https://www.amazon.com/PANTONE-FORMU...or+chart&psc=1
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 16, 2018 at 05:21pm.