Thread: Re-Jump
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hard to determine...

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
If the ball becomes live on the tap, I think it depends on when the officials deem it a bad toss. If U blows the whistle and promptly looks at the clock, SEES that a second ticks off (clock reads 7:59), I would be inclined to say that if you wanted to "split hairs", you could site the "lag" effect and that the one second is lost...if the clock says 7:58, I suppose you could put one more second on the clock and set it at 7:59...If no time runs off the clock, I'm sure no one is going to want you to run 1 second off!
First, the ball becomes live when it leaves the R's hand(s), not on the tap.

Second, the clock starts when the ball is legally touched. I'd say if the toss is poor, the ball isn't legally touched (even though there's no team / player penalty for this illegal touch).

Third, the official's manual says, "If the toss is poor, either official shall sound the whistle immediately, signal the clock should not start and order a rejump." (emphasis added)

Fourth, if the clock is improperly started, it can be reset if the official has definite knowledge of the time involved. I'd say that's pretty easy in this situation.

Bottom line, reset the clock and rejump (and practice those tosses!)