View Single Post
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

I started a similar thread entitled "Miss St @ Ole Miss (Video)" back in March 2015.

I think NCAA (which I don't work) is the same as NFHS where the runner is supposed to touch first base after receiving a base on balls.

I found this case play from ASA from 2009:

With one out, bases loaded and the score tied in the bottom of the seventh, B5 walks on four pitches bringing in the winning run. B5 joins in the celebration and is reminded to go to 1B by a coach. The defense appeals (a) that B5 was out of the base path, (b) that B5 was aided by a coach while the ball was in play, and (c) that B5 did not go directly to 1B. The umpires rule all runners safe once the batter-runner reaches 1B.

In (a), there is no penalty for leaving the base path since B5 was not avoiding a tag. In (b) verbal instructions are not considered aiding the runner. In (c) B5 did not enter the dugout or leave the field of play, so there is no penalty. In all cases, the run counts and the game is over. (8-1C)

This would seem to imply that NCAA, USA, and NFHS all have the same ruling. But I seem to recall from somewhere that one of these was different. In the sense that since the batter was awarded a base that forced all other runners to advance, that as long as the runner from third touched home plate, nothing else mattered.

Maybe I just heard (and remembered) a bad interpretation?