View Single Post
Old Mon May 07, 2018, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
No, I wouldn’t allow the “bench” coach to go back and forth from the dugout to the bleachers. Once they’ve established themselves as a “coach”, they have to stay in the dugout. It’s almost always a small school that is really hurting for players, and the coach is pretty much babysitting more than coaching. I can probably count on one hand where I’ve seen it happen.
IMO, this would apply to any alphabet. Had a NQ one year where I noticed (as the UIC) the HC visiting a "spectator" sitting behind the backstop just a bit off-center every half inning. Before the next game this guy spent time with the team warming up on the field. I mentioned it to the TD (JO Commissioner) who sat down behind him for the next game. Not only was he charting pitches, he was offering direction that you would normally hear from a coach.

So, the TD told him he could either be a spectator or a coach and if he were going to coach, he needed to be in the dugout. He didn't like it, but he didn't argue too much. Apparently, the TD wasn't wrong