View Single Post
Old Thu May 03, 2018, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
That's a real stretch.

3-6-6 basically says that bench personnel must stay on the bench if they are not actively participating in the game. The exception is that they can also go to a designated warm-up area. The only implication in the rule is that team personnel are not allowed in the bleachers, concession stand, press box, along the fence next to the opposing dugout, etc. All of the case plays for 3-6-6 refer to bench personnel.

3-6-6 makes no mention whatsoever of spectators in between innings. Would you not allow a volunteer from the concession stand to bring your partner and you a Gatorade? What about someone from the stands who comes in to do some groundskeeping? Or a Mom who needs to help her daughter with a hair ribbon? So why would you feel compelled to prevent an adult who isn't a coach from helping a pitcher warm up?

I've done a number of high school games where there was only one adult in the dugout, and he/she has needed the help of a parent to take care of the dugout while he/she goes out to base coach. I don't see this as being any different.
So now you are going to let a parent in the dugout to be a "bench" coach. At the end of the inning, I guess that parent can go back to her lawn chair ??
This is why some feel softball is a second class sport or we treat if no different than parks and rec. They aren't a coach so when they holler and scream at you in the dug out and throw a bat onto the field to protest a call or you going to eject a "spectator". By your standards she isn't a coach.
Let's have coaches and spectators and keep them different. I don't toss spectators ( let admin deal with them ). I will eject a coach if neccessry.
Parents are not coaches....

I doubt there is another hs school sport where we as officials let parents (spectators ) get involved as much as they do....

Last edited by Multiple Sports; Thu May 03, 2018 at 10:42pm.