View Single Post
Old Thu May 03, 2018, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Must be a typo or something because that isn't even close to being true.

Doesn't apply when the screener and trailing player are moving in the same path and direction. -- edit: true, but not applicable.

(Both with the caveat that I didn't watch the video and I don't know NBA rules -- the second comment, especially, is based on NCAA and (I think) FED.)

Edit: Now I've seen the video. It was a point raised last season in NCAAW (I forget whether it was really a POE or not) about BHDs setting illegal screens (usually a non-dribbler pivoting onto the screen). I agree that we will see more of it and that it should be a foul on the offense.
OK. If the defender is in LGP (or LGP does not apply, as it would not in this play), or the dribbler is trying to squeeze between defender and sideline, or two defenders, the dribbler is responsible for avoiding illegal contact. In this situation, LGP does not apply, because the defender is behind the dribbler, and trying to return to his end of the court. Because of Harden's hard stop, contact occurs. Ingles could not have altered his path with sufficient time to avoid contact, because both he and Harden were traveling in the same direction with (approximately) the same speed, and would not have made contact if Harden did not stop. Because Harden was (indirectly) responsible for the contact, he should be called for a player control foul, no matter how unpopular the call might be.