Thread: reversed call
View Single Post
Old Wed May 02, 2018, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_DanO View Post
Bases loaded, 2 outs. Batter has an actual count of 1 ball-2 strikes but the plate ump had it reversed 2-1. Next pitch is a strike which would have retired the side but no one questioned it. Count now is 2-2 and the batter hits a line drive scoring 2 runs for the go ahead. Defensive coach calls time and appeals the count on that batter prior to the hit, both umps discuss it and call the batter out on strikes negating the hit and subsequent runs which eventually cost them the game. This was sent to me in a email by a fellow ump who was questioned by the coach who was on the losing side of that event.....

My thought is the hit stands, runs score, and the appeal was made after the pitch so there is nothing to discuss.....
A call can't be corrected after a pitch; but the question is whether the mistake was the pitch that should have been strike 3 or the pitch which was hit. Obviously, both were problems. I probably would apply the umpire jeopardy rule and proceed as if the PU had the count correct in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_DanO View Post
What is the proper correct way or mechanic to handle this type of situation?.....
What you describe seems ok for procedure; regardless of the result.