View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 19, 2018, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentD2222 View Post
I hate doing some AAU tournaments because I feel like the organizers pressure the refs to only keep the games moving. IMHO I've seen games end up taking longer and being far more out of control due to unruly behavior due to so many no calls. They end up becoming rock fights and getting very messy down the stretch.

I've been ashamed of some of the games I've been part of due to partners unwillingness to blow their wistle. I hear comments like "I'm not calling shit, I just want to go home, this is my last game".

I attended my son's game this past weekend. While I was not officiating many of the parents know I am an official, so I was forced to field a lot of questions which I either correctly defend the on court officials or explain how angles and views of what happens are a lot different on the court. The game was a shit show. One ref was very solid. The other refused to blow his wistle and also refused to switch ends on any calls. Keep in mind my son's team won the game so this isn't sour grapes. It was concern for player safety and enjoyment of the game. With the exception of one player on the other team who very loudly enjoyed the shit show taunting fans, players, the coach etc. I don't think anyone coaches, fans, players enjoyed that game (except for that douche bag player).

What if anything should be done when you observe an official clearly not caring and putting players at jepordy. He no-called some of the most insane two hand shoves. Trips, two hand shoves... flagrent fouls that would be ejections or min. techs at any scholastic game. Once the player in question swiped at the testicles of another player knocking to his knees. The ref that was in question let out a small chuckle, his only response.

The parents all said we do not yell at the refs out of respect for you knowing you are an official, but when they are not even trying how can we stand for that. I didn't know what to say.

PS - The solid official started the game alone for the first 5 minutes, he was young, but solid. The older guy finally showed up and clearly wanted to go home early was in the young offials ear influencing him (peer-pressure) to lay off his whistle.

It for sure solidified my unwant to officiate AAU tournaments. Especially those that are not run by organizers that care about anything other then the revenue.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Brent,

Sit by yourself. This is no difference than a high school umpire going to his kids 10U game and people getting on the ump for a bad zone. Your there as a dad. Support your son. That is what is important.

I did an event this weekend where a guy who played for Lefty Driesell at University of Maryland was watching his son ( 6"6") 8th grade. He detests this crap so much he sits alone. Dude was recruited by Terry Holland, Dean Smith and Lefty. He gets it, it is a neccessary evil. Not worth it to have your son's two guard dad, who is an IT guy to be asking you for an explanation when a kid fumbles the ball why a travel isn't called.....