View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 13, 2018, 10:16am
Stirrer of the Pot

Where is this in the NFHS Rule Book?

NCAA rule 11.21.7 says a batter is out when,

Quote:
A batted ball hits the batter, or hits the dirt or home plate and then hits the batter when the batter is out of the batter’s box, and the batted ball is considered fair.
I can't for the life of me now, find this rule in the FED rule book. The closest is rule 8-2, which says,

Quote:
The batter-runner shall be called out when:

ART. 7 . . . The batter-runner interferes with a fielder attempting to make an initial play, interferes with a fielder attempting to throw the ball, intentionally interferes with a thrown ball while out of the batter's box, makes contact with a fair batted ball before reaching first base, or (F.P.) interferes with a dropped third strike. If this interference, in the umpire's judgment, is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play, the runner closest to home plate shall be called out. A batter runner being hit with a thrown ball does not necessarily constitute interference
It appears that in FED play, we can rule a BR out if we judge she contacts a ball in fair territory before she even leaves the box. Is that true? I can't find a case play for this situation that supports a ruling similar to the NCAA rule, where we have to judge that the BR was out of the box.

So if she bunts a ball that bounces in the front part of her batter's box or just beyond the line (clearly a fair ball), and she bumps it as she takes her first step to first base, we should rule her out, even if her foot hasn't touched the ground outside the box?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker