View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 11, 2018, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
4-24-7 would probably apply if the offensive player contacted the defensive player by using his off-arm or hand. Do I understand the intent of that rule correctly. AfAIK, there are no non-contact personal fouls in the rulebook, and any 4-24-7 infraction would fall into the personal foul category, because it is a live-ball offense. So, simply covering the ball using a forearm while dribbling would not be a 4-24-7 violation, if no contact is involved.
Yes, have to have contact but that was what I meant in my post. Defender goes for a steal on the ball handler and ball handler keeps hand/arm between ball and defender and there is contact. Happens dozens and dozens of times every game, in HS, NCAA, etc. Suppose if going to enforce have to go with player control foul. I think the rule needs to be re-written. Arm/hand should be allowed to prevent defender by being held in place but not allowed to push/ward off.

Billy raised a good question. We have some rules written that do not necessarily and specifically providing a penalty. Another one involves teammates grasping/locking arms. Not allowed by rule but no penalty is providing...at least without contact. And if there is contact, who gets the foul? Say you have 3 teammates locking arms forming a wall/screen. Defender runs into, not a player's specific torso, but rather the locked arms. Who gets the foul? All 3?