View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Sorry for the confusion.

Lets talk about your number 2. Assume there has been touch or tag on the close out (first touch by defense) and while gapping the ball carrier arms up and active, the ball carrier drops shoulder and attacks hard. In moving to respond the defenses arm/hand/ elbow etc ends up in the space between their bodies or torsos as the offense continues to try to attack forward. Obviously the d didn't try to "touch" the ball carrier, but touching is going on and the longer the the arm stays there the more advantage the defender can negate/obtain particulary if offense continues to move forward.

I'm wondering how generous you would be in giving the defender time and movement to get that arm out.
I think you are referring to the recent Harden plays (recent Ariza play comes to mind, wow, that was crazy) whereby he initiates tangling of appendages (mostly arms) and they call a foul on the defense. Then again, maybe you are not. Anyway, if the offense initiates that tangling action, I would think a no-call would be appropriate. Giving the defense time to get the arm out could be applied but one could also apply the concept to the offensive player if they initiated it.

At times, I find it difficult to enforce all of the rules against the defender of a ball handler when no one, including me, enforces rule 4-24 article 7 which indicates it is illegal to use a hand/forearm to prevent a defender from attacking the ball during a dribble/shot. Every kid in the country is taught to keep their off arm between the ball and the defender so defenders are prevented from stealing the ball. Imagine, teaching kids to violate a rule.