View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Don't wanna get got.

As a fan and official one of my least favorite parts of the game is offensive players who aren't trying to play basketball but rather garner foul calls. Kids who kick their legs out when the shoot, running into everyone they can on the way to hoop trying to hear a whistle and throw up a potential and 1 and trip the foul line . . .basically everything James Harden does everytime any sticks an arm near a ball screen he's trying to use.

IN FIBA, we don't have the automatic hand checking and freedom of play rules in NFHS. So we get more liberty in making judgements. I do work in Maine some over the summers and will again this summer.

If the defense isn't holding or handchecking but is reaching for the ball or just moving arms to garner momentum defensively, and the offense chooses attack into the defense's body while they arm is there, how generous are you in allowing the defense a chance to get the arm out and off. I'm not talking about d trying to hold space with an arm bar but rather a player who's gotten arm trapped between himself and offense?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!