View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 08, 2018, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

I do say color, number, and type of foul to verbally inform the offender that he fouled. If he asks for an explanation, I give it quickly. If not, he knows what he has done wrong. By the book, I am only required to inform the offender that he has fouled (and the preliminary signal explains the type of foul?), but my style is Manual+. By Manual+, I do what is required in the mechanics manual, with necessary additions to clarify the situation, emphatic signals to sell calls (especially on PC/TC fouls, when a score might be cancelled), and explanations if needed.

About the OP, if the official had used the proper "player control foul" signal, which in NCAA (the CCA men's manual) is grabbing the head (like NFHS) and a punch to indicate the direction, then there would be no confusion, as had happened with only the punch (some officials use a downward punch to indicate "score the goal", instead of the signal shown in the NFHS and CCA men's manual). This is why proper mechanics matter: Improper mechanics can confuse observers.