View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
As an official my only concern is getting the play right. If coaches (those who make the rules) don't think it's a problem then I'm not going to worry about flow, beer runs, dinner plans, etc. But something tells me coaches are more concerned with getting a deserved possession with 4 seconds left in the game than they are about fans and their complaints.
My 2 cents ( I'll wait for change)

I'm want to be right too. But I'm not ok wit the game delayed for minutes at a time because we want to change the standard for right.

38 minutes a game right is what we judge based on the real time evidence and help from our fellow officials.

Just my opinion, but I see the replay and the table official in the same way. Assistance from another view or vantage point in case we missed something. If I say white ball and my partner comes in and says no its off white. We talk about what we saw and come to a decision. My partner doesn't run in and say hey blue came in and smacked that ball free but I/m pretty certain the last micro touch was whites finger tips last.

I want the call right. Right needs to be consistent and relative throughout the game. If its not something that can be picked up by the naked eye and at speed (even on replay), odds are it would be passed on/missed/called or no called the other way all game long. Replay should assistant in correcting errors or ommissions made by officials in key moments of the game, not change the nature of decision making.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!