View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 08:55am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Not saying LBR is one of the exceptions.

I'm asking, when is the play considered over, if not when the ball is in the circle, and runner is on the base they would have been awarded?
As I mentioned in my earlier post on this scenario, why wouldn't the BU call Time as soon as the ball is in the circle, make the announcement that he/she had Obstruction, and just say the runner stays at first base? It provides closure on the violation (everyone presumably saw the DDB signal), and prevents the mess you're describing.

But if you really insist on not saying anything after F1 has the ball in the circle, I'm still not calling a LBR violation should the runner be instructed to go to second base. The last play and any violations that took place are still viable, IMHO, until the pitcher delivers a pitch (legal or illegal).

That's how we handle other situations like appeal plays for runners missing bases, batting out of order violations, use of illegal equipment, etc. etc. We still recognize that the violation exists and can be ruled upon until that pitcher delivers the next pitch.

So even if F1 has the ball in the circle, walks up to the plate, steps on the plate, and keeps her hands separated as she looks in for the sign, I'm recognizing that the previous BR who was obstructed STILL cannot be put out between those two bases. If she comes off at that point and heads to second, I'm calling Time and putting her back to first. And then I'm likely going to eject the defensive head coach.

But why set myself up for that much trouble? Just call Time when play is over, and announce the Obstruction violation with the runner remaining on first base.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker