View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 22, 2018, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

I will say that I used to be in the realm of not wanting a shot clock as that is how it worked in when I played ball in high school. Starting to work some higher level tournaments with teams from different states my view has drastically changed. The high school game needs a shot clock. I don't know how many games you have done where the stalling starts in the 2nd or 3rd quarter but I get one or two each year and it is brutal.

Additionally, someone mentioned end of the game fouling. While this is obviously part of the game it is so much less prevalent with a shot clock. 45 seconds left down by 2 without the ball and with a 30 second shot clock. Now the team has to step up and play great defense without fouling, really makes the game better.

In terms of how many seconds for high school I would have to look at some of the statistics that take place and what effect 35 to 30 did to the game. Speaking to Camerons point about needing it to be 40-45 seconds, I understand where you are coming from and can't say I completely disagree. However, those teams that would make those desperation shots and run out of time frequently often times in my experience can't possess the ball for 30-35 seconds let alone 40-45 which is why I would lean toward 30-35. I think that a review of studies done in college and states with shot clocks would provide a great resource for making the decision.