View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
I do agree, in the manner of "nothing is absolute." I would say, as a rule, the stop sign is bad. However, there is a time and place, such as "hard charging coach or player" or anything on the extreme end.

Stop sign could work for basketball (actually encouraged in NCAA-W as a warning method prior to T, and it should be seen on camera from my understanding) due to the continuous action.
I have taught new umpires that if they felt uncomfortable in the manner in which a coach/player is approaching them to take a step backward (as to not be confused to be taking a challenging stance) and raise their hand and calmly tell them it is close enough.

If the individual stops, drop the hand and carry on with the discussion. If they keep coming and cause you to retreat to avoid contact, it is probably time for them to go.

This is a very stressful situation for a rookie umpire and they need to have an idea of how to handle it. I've never had any negative feedback, but a few positive reactions indicating that the maneuver worked. Only once did it result in an ejection, but the young (18yo) umpire turned it into a positive experience.

Though you don't want to scare the newbies, I believe it is better to prepare them for the inevitable.