View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post

1st encounter: Coach on offense, R1 on 1B, BR bunts. ... He keeps chirping as he leaves and I tell him that's enough to his back as he walks away, and give a stop sign. Life moves on.
To add my 40 percent of a nickel, this is where you lost him and your game. Why would you respond to his back as he is walking away? Do you need to have the last word? Also, you gave the "stop sign" to his back (and therefore didn't see it)?

Now you have created a no win situation. Either he didn't hear you and he is now in your head, or he knows that he can manipulate you. Not to mention that you are now emotionally invested with this guy.

For situation #1, I'm handing this way:
Coach: go for help
Me: are you asking about not contacting the bag or did you think the runner beat the ball? (yes, I ask this questions, I don't waste time by making the coach play the guessing game).
coach1: the runner beat the ball
me: sorry coach, that's a judgement play and my partner can't help. Let's play ball (as I go back to my position)
coach2: she didn't get the bag
me: coach, I had a pretty good look at it and I'm sure. I'll ask if you want, but I'm sure ask to what he is going to say.
rationale: I'll give him a quick "ask" because that's what he wanted, but I also let him know it was futile. This also removes him from me and the game continues.
Either way, I'm not going to argue with him or have the last word. When he leaves, it's over for me. If he wants to argue, I'll say: "coach, time to play" and leave him. If he continues and starts to approach me, then I have restriction/ejection options.

However, neither time will I give the "stop sign." There is a wonderful discussion about this form of communication on the basketball board, and how the NBA feels about it. I would not have given the signal in the other situations either, as it just sets a bad tone.