View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 11:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

100% Sure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... not allowing a team to have the personnel on the court that they wanted.
In my high school games, if I'm not 100% sure that the substitution is illegal, then the substitute is coming in.

My biggest problem regarding substitutions is often my partner, who may not subscribe to my statement above (or who doesn't know the rules).

A few problems this past year involved the timekeeper incorrectly sounding the substitution horn a split second after the ball had already been put at the disposal of the inbounder, or had already been inbounded. In these cases, I will hold my whistle to see if the substitute will hold back so that the play can continue. I've had partners who sound their whistle right away, stopping the play, and resetting the inbound play. I don't have a problem with that (it may prevent the ball handler from "double dribbling"), I do have a problem when they followup by denying the substitution. The ball is dead and the clock is stopped, one can't deny a substitution (assuming the substitute is otherwise eligible, sit a tick, not disqualified, proper uniform and equipment, no blood, etc.) in that situation.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 18, 2018 at 12:52pm.