View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

The Michigan Houston game was a mess, too many mistakes to count. Early, an out of bounds where Michigan goes over a Houston player on a rebound and as you see much of time, the Michigan guy hits the Houston guy's hand, so it should be out on Michigan, the outside rebounder, or a foul on him, and of course, they give it to Michigan. Particularly important these days, I guess, that instead of passing on the contact and just giving the ball to the inside rebounder, you have to call the foul if in the last minute or 2, because they will review, and can't turn it into a foul, so you can't pass on the contact and just give inside rebounder the possession.

At least 10 really wrong calls in this game, no dog in the hunt, but in the last minute to take the cake, an out of bounds review where a Houston player gathered the ball and fell out of bounds. Absolutely no question who it was out on, WHY REVIEW? The game was painful to watch from an officiating perspective, both ways, many block/charges called the wrong way, basically everything in the book. TOO MANY WHISTLES as well, 'and ones' where you had to watch the replay to see if there was any contact whatsoever.

Call what matters. A sign of a good to great official is someone that knows how to hold the whistle, see the entire play, and only blow the whistle when it creates an advantage. Another way they added to the whistle count, rebounding fouls where the 'fouled' team got the rebound with no interruption of flow. DON'T BLOW THE WHISTLE.

Rant over. NBA seems to have it figured out far better than the NCAA. I guess it's because they are full-time and get paid more? It is a huge gap.

I wrote this before finishing the game, the same official that had to review whether the ball was out of bounds on a player that possessed it and fell out of bounds passed on a clear travel on the last play of the game before the winning 3. I mean clear as day travel, right in front of him. Nice shot though.

Last edited by thedewed; Sun Mar 18, 2018 at 08:58am.