View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 15, 2018, 02:26pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I guess I'm a little slow today, but why in the world would the defensive head coach direct that the current batter be walked intentionally with no pitches (WIWNP), and then appeal that the batter before her batted out of order? I would just look at the coach and say, "Sorry, coach, but you should've appealed it before you walked the next batter intentionally."

Now here's the kicker. By asking that the current batter be WIWNP, that should legitimize the previous improper batter who is on base. By legitimizing her, then the batter who was WIWNP may not be the proper batter. So by directing that she be WIWNP, the coach then has the possibility of appealing that she was out of order, correct?

Say #6 bats in place of #4 and singles. The defensive head coach comes out when he sees that #4 is coming to the plate. She's a big hitter, as is #5 who would come up after #4. So he asks the PU to WIWNP #4, and #4 goes to first. That should legitimize #6's at-bat, so he appeals. #4 is taken off the bases, #6 is returned to first, #7, who became the proper batter when #6 is legitimized, is ruled out, and the next batter is #8.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker