View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't agree with that, at least not completely. The torso marks a defender's spot on the floor. The feet may be extended to the side, front, back, etc. A defender hasn't obtained a specific LGP just by getting their feet in the path, they must get their body in the path to have LGP. The feet on the floor mark the time at which they obtain that position.

Agree. This is not generally moving forward.

If they're turning their shoulder "into the path" that means the defender was not in the path to start with. If you mean turning the shoulder within the path but such that some part of their body was rotating forward as other parts are rotating backwards, then, the defender is legal (IMO).

Defense...that is called bellying up. While the defender can stand up, they can't do so in a way that also invades another player's space and displaces them.

I agree in principle. Thanks!

Follow up clarifications:

In the "belly up" example. If the contact happens because defense moves into space and displaces from that space the offensive player, that makes sense. What if the offenses body (shoulder, arm, etc, hip) is in space that belongs to the defense but hasn't been taken but defense now straightens up, leads ches/hips, etc to occupy space that is theirs they just hadn't been using? Often see offensive and defensive feet, particularly when players are perpendicular, which intersect space but because of body position bodies aren't touching. Just to trying to establish how you legislate space that is in theoretically in the defenses cylinder (officiate the defense) but isn't always held by body part, and what happens when it suddenly is. or vice versa.

So based on your explanation if defense hops feet forward to meet imminent contact but does so by thursting hips and feet to new spot. Even if feet land before contact happens, because the body and torso is getting to the spot/cylinder at the same time as the offense we are considering the defense to be moving into the offense.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!