View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 10, 2018, 11:05pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
OP contained 2 questions: How should it be handled and whose call is it?

I agree with Arem. Secondary defender came to help. C had the primary defender and can't really watch two defenders simultaneously with great accuracy. IMO, it is L's call.

I, with great respect, disagree with Mark T. as there still can be a "secondary" defender. It may not fit certain definitions of associations but for purely descriptive purposes, it works. Also, I do not feel that the L had a "competitive matchup" as they were doing nothing to warrant L's attention.

Now, everyone has already described how it should have been handled. IMO, L should have been ball side. When the ball crossed half-court, he should have been in a close-down position. When the ball went to the wing, he should have then initiated a rotation. Again, just my opinion.
Well said bucky. I disagree about the rotation, they had just gotten in the frontcourt from transition and it would have been a very quick rotation. I'm not even sure the Lead would have made it all the way across before the play happens. Plus an immediate drive from the wing should freeze the Lead from coming across. At minimum the Lead should be at close down and refereeing the secondary defender because Slot still has to cover the primary defender who is now behind the offensive player.