View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating?
RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or request a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)
Can anyone explain the logic to this interpretation? I was aware of it but hadn't given it much thought as it is pretty uncommon. But now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think it really make sense based on the rule, given that the player is allowed to dribble. You can have virtually the same action, but if there is any slight bounce to the ball, then standing and picking the ball up simply ends the dribble. But if the ball is absolutely still, then the same act is a travel. Seems (at best) an unnecessary interpretation to add, given that the defense could just grab the ball if it was placed on the ground -- but maybe i'm missing something.